- The Fogg Behavior Model: A Simple Framework for Lasting Habits
- To Live a Good Life, You Need Solid Cornerstones
- To Be a Winner in Life, You Need to Master the Fundamentals
- This is How to Build Good Habits
- How to Create a Keystone Habit Calendar
- Deliberate Consequences: How To Make Bad Habits Unappealing
- Social Pressure: How to Use Conformity to Break Bad Habits
- Bright-Line Rules: How to Banish Bad Habits
- Replacement Habits: How to Turn Bad Habits Into Good Ones
- Urge Surfing: How to Break Bad Habits with Mindfulness
- Cue Elimination: How to Break Bad Habits the Easy Way
- Pointing and Calling: How to Track Your Bad Habits
- Habit Tracking: How to Make Progress Toward Your Goals
- Intermittent Reinforcement: How to Get Addicted to Good Habits
- Reinforcement: How to Make Your Habits Stick
- Social Influence: How to Easily Build Good Habits
- Commitment Devices: The Best Way to Stick to Your Habits
- Flow: How to Create Habits the Fun & Easy Way
- Environment Design: How to Create Habits the Easy Way
- Habit Stacking: How to Create Powerful Daily Routines
- If-Then Planning: How to Make Good Habits Stick
- The Rider and the Elephant: How to Get Motivated
- Keystone Habits: How to Change Your Life the Easy Way
- Mindset: How to Be Successful in Life
- This is How to Be Happy & Productive with “Flow Habits”
- This is How to Optimize Your Life with a Habit Calendar
- This is How to Master Your Habits: Secrets From Research
- 48 Tiny Habits That Will Make You Awesome
- This is How to Create a New Habit: 5 Secrets From Research
- This is How to Stick to Your Habits, Backed by Research
- This is the Most Fun Way to Get Started With a New Habit
- This is the Best Way to Change Your Habits
- This is the Fastest Way to Improve Your Life
- How to Conduct a Weekly Planning Session
- How to Change Your Habits by Changing Your Environment
- How to Practice Mindfulness: A Beginners Guide
- How to Breathe Properly – A (Surprisingly Important) Complete Guide
A Simple Introduction to Habits
According to research from Duke University1, somewhere around 40 percent of the actions people perform every day aren’t due to decision-making but habits.
Take a moment to reflect on what that means. Almost half of the things you do on a given day aren’t the result of conscious decisions but behaviors that you have repeated so many times they have become more or less automatic. You no longer think about them, you just do them.
Imagine what it would mean to you if you could find a way to change this 40 percent of actions so that you got them to work for you in every area of your life. What would it mean for your health? Your finances? Your relationships? Your personal growth?
This is why I absolutely love the topic of habits. It’s also why I think understanding the mechanics of human behavior is a crucial skill in life. Because when we understand human behavior, it enables us to create our habits, which then create us.
So, in the articles below, I’ll share my favorite strategies to create good habits and break bad ones. I suggest you read, implement, and tweak the ones you think will give you the greatest benefits.
If you want a more structured approach, get a copy of my book The Habit Blueprint. It lays out everything in a simple, systematic, step-by-step fashion.
Happy reading! 🙂