My friend Giovanni Dienstmann is a popular meditation teacher, author, and speaker.
He teaches a simple and powerful technique he calls The ROAR Method1.
It’s useful anytime you deal with difficult emotions like anxiety, fear, and grief.
Here’s how it works:
- Recognize the emotion is present — Label it by stating to yourself, for instance, “Anxiety is here.”
- Observe it as pure sensations — Notice where in your body they are, what they’re like, and where they’re strongest.
- Accept the sensations as they are — Make room for them and let them be there as if it makes no difference to you.
- Release the sensations with your exhales — Breathe through the sensations and imagine how every out-breath dissolves them.
The ROAR Method only takes a few minutes and can dramatically shift your emotional state.
I’ve found it very helpful, and if you start practicing it, I’m sure you will, too.
- The ROAR Method by Giovanni Dienstmann