Inversion is a problem-solving technique where you think about things backward.
Instead of asking how to do something, you ask how not to do it.
Here are some examples:
- Business: How can we alienate our core customers?
- Career: What kind of work do I hate?
- Health: How can I sleep worse?
- Productivity: How can I procrastinate more?
- Relationships: How can I ruin my marriage?
Inversion won’t always solve your problems, but it will help you avoid costly mistakes.
And that will move you closer to the solution.
So, whenever the best path forward isn’t clear, flip the problem on its head.
Instead of looking for the right path, ensure you know which ones to avoid.